Friday, June 5, 2009

I had one expectation.

In the days leading up to my trip to South Africa I decided that I wanted God to prove something to me.

I wanted Him to prove to me that two week mission trips were effective. I wanted Him to prove to me that they could actually make a difference despite the incredible lack of longevity. That was my only expectation.

He answered me. But not in the way I was expecting. Here's what He showed me.

There are no mission trips.

Think about it. There are no mission trips.

Life ITSELF is the mission.

Let me explain.

In the weeks leading up to our trip, preparation was stressed repeatedly. Things commonly heard were "Be reading your Bibles every day"and "Remain in constant prayer for this trip".

Shouldn't we be doing that already?

This is the misconception.

We assume that since we're going to Africa we need to "up our game". As if the people in America need to hear it less?

How many of us slack in our efforts here in our own country, yet bring the heat the minute we land in a foreign country? Can this be right?

Here's how God answered my question.

If we determine to live a LIFE of ministry, then it won't matter where you are, how long you're there, or what you're doing.

Because your attitude remains the same. The same attitude that we carry would simply fly with us to another country and we would only pick up where we left off in America.

Here's what I propose.

We blow this box wide open.

We think bigger than "mission trips" which has become such a catch phrase in the Christian circles.

We decide to have the same attitude, the same preparation, the same fervor, no matter where we are. Then the duration of the trip won't matter. The area we live in won't matter. The class of people that we minister to won't matter.

Because now everyone is on equal ground in our minds. No one people need the Gospel more than another. Let's cut up this misconception and let God show what HIS idea of missions looks like.

You know, when we found out that we were going to staying in a nice house with comfortable beds and a pool and showers and American food, I imagine some of were just a bit disappointed.

We were ready to take the Gospel to the people that REALLY needed it, like the poor people and the homeless!

Like the rich people don't need it too?

Like the business people and the teachers and the higher class in general don't need it too?

This is a matter of perspective, and it's a wrong perspective.

We have this idea in our heads and we gotta break it down because I believe it's preventing many of us from truly making a constant, day-to-day impact in this world.

The Americans need the Gospel too. So why is everyone running off to other countries?

The rich people need the Gospel too. So why is everyone looking for poor people?

This should be equal territory but it isn't. So let's change it. Let's be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

Let's think BIGGER.

No more "mission trips".

More "lifestyle".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A mission trip changed my life forever! It was seeing that here in America we have everything but there they have little but are happy! I went back to live there for a year. I wish I were still there. (Mexico) People there love the Lord with all their heart, soul, and mind, for the most part. Their Faith shows through them. n-e-way, my name is Jenifer. MAy God Bless your ministry. I get what your saying. Its just that I haven't seen such faith as they had in Mexico since I have been back I wish I could bottle it up!

Matt Trevorrow said...

please understand:) i'm not in any way suggesting we don't travel to other countries at ALL. I'm only saying that the same devotion should be lived out in both places:)We should put the same effort into ministry in both places cause right now it's one-sided you know?